Vehicle Registration Services
Vehicles brought from the U.S., or purchased locally, must be registered with USAREUR. All shipped vehicles and used vehicles purchased in Germany must pass a safety inspection before they can be registered.
Effective now: Previous regulation regarding HK and AD license plates have been rescinded. Current policy requires individuals who have HK and AD plates to switch those plates with German locality designation plates. This policy does apply to motorcycles and trailers also. Proof of insurance is required and mandatory for switching license plate. For loss or stolen license plate, please report the incident to the Military Police.
Personnel leaving (ETS or PCS) or individuals who have lost logistical support must turn in their Stuttgart (S), Boeblingen (BB) plates to vehicle registration (not MP Station) prior to leaving the Stuttgart community.Vehicle Registration & Inspection Online Appointments
Click the link above to make an appointment for vehicle registration online. The vehicle appointments website requires CAC authentication. Select the CAC certificate that includes the word 'email.'
Vehicle Registration Services Checklists
The following checklists will help you prepare for the most common Vehicle Registration transactions:
- Registering/Renewing a POV in Non-Operational Status
- Out Processing
- Convert Temporary Registration to Permanent Registration
- Permanent Registration Renewal
- Plate Destruction / Turn in
- Register a Vehicle Bought on local economy
- Register a New Vehicle (Newly Purchased)
- Register Vehicle Shipped from the U.S or other NATO Country
- Replace Lost or Stolen License Plate
- Replace Lost Paper Registration
- Shipping a Vehicle from Germany
- Temporary Registration
- Transfer or Sell a Vehicle (ID card holder to ID card holder)
- Appointing an Agent to Operate, Sell, Ship or Dispose of POV
- Donate a POV to MWR
Vehicles & Licenses
Department of Defense ID cardholders in Germany (service members, family members, and assigned civilians and some contractors) are allowed to register their personally-owned vehicles (POV) with the U.S. Military. These vehicles are not subject to German taxes or German vehicle registration.
DoD ID card holders are eligible to obtain a USAREUR (United States Army, Europe) driver's license. With this license, ID card holders are authorized to drive a USAREUR-plated vehicle or other German-registered vehicles. They are also authorized to purchase a limited amount of gasoline or diesel fuel without paying taxes. For more infromation on vehicle licensing, visit the USAREUR Registry of Motor Vehicles website.
Vehicle Registration Office
- Location: Bldg. 2930, Panzer Kaserne
- Commercial Telephone: +49(0) 07031-15-2833 / 2883 / 2171 / 2495 / 3672
- Defense Switched Network (DSN): (314)431-2833 / 2883 / 2171 / 2495 / 3672
Hours of operation: Monday - Thursday: 7:45 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. and Friday: 7:45 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Closed for lunch from Noon - 1:00 p.m.
Closed the last work day of the month for inventory and on U.S. Federal Holidays
Open for online appointments only on German Holidays (No walk-ins will be served)