Passport & SOFA Services
Passport Application Checklists and Instructions
- Have priority and are recommended for all passport applications
- Are Absolutely Mandatory for Report of Birth Abroad applications
- Are Required for tourist passport applications
- Active duty official passport applications
- SOFA cards
- Passport Pick-ups
- Document Verification for Social Security Card and ITIN applications
- Optional Station for In-Processing, See us only if you need a service
Passports are renewable one year prior to the expiration date. European countries require 6 months remaining on the passport to make entry, plan accordingly. Make your appointment to renew your passport 8-9 months before expiration. Passport agents will make a copy of all your passports and certify that they have seen the originals. For most renewals, you retain your current passport until the new one arrives at the Passport Office. Exceptions: Initial applications and Lost/Stolen/Mutilated require an original birth certificate, applications for a Diplomatic or to replace a Diplomatic with an Official/No-Fee require the passport to be sent in, and reports of birth abroad require all original documents to be sent to the Frankfurt Consulate.
- Average return time for Tourist Passports is 3-5 Weeks
- Average return time for Official/No-Fee/Diplomatic Passports is 6-8 Weeks
- Average return time for Reports of Birth Abroad/Passport for newborns is 8-12 Weeks
According to the State Department, all U.S. military-affiliated personnel in Germany must apply for passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad through their local U.S. military installation passport office. Please make an appointment online using the RAPIDS appointment system or the Garrison Smartphone App.
ALERT: PHOTOS WITH GLASSES ON ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE DUE TO FACIAL RECOGNITION TECHNOLOGY
If you must wear glasses for your photo then you will need to provide a letter from your doctor explaining the medical necessity.
No Fee, Diplomatic or Official Passports
Initial and Renewal
Lost, Stolen or Mutilated
Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Report of Birth Abroad Checklist
- Passport Application Instructions (Initial or Renewal)
- Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029)
- Please contact passport office for additional information prior to making an appointment with our office.
Status of Forces Agreement Services
- SOFA Checklist for restricted country passport ; for detailed list click here
- SOFA Checklist for non-restricted passport
SOFA: Active duty proof of SOFA is ID Card and orders. Dependents and Civilians have 90 days to obtain proof of SOFA after arrival. If SOFA expires, you revert to tourist status and again have up to 90 days to obtain a new proof of SOFA.
SOFA STAMPS in No-Fee/Official Passports are the approved solution for dependents and civilians and expire when the passport does. SOFA cards are the work-around, if there is no stamp. The SOFA card is issued to the highest held passport and expires the earliest of end-of-tour, ID card expiration, or passport expiration. It is not transferrable to another passport and it is illegal to have both a stamp and a card.
Passport & SOFA Office
- Location: Panzer Kaserne, Building 2915, Room 314.
- Commercial Telephone:
- Defense Switched Network (DSN):
(314) 431-2009 / 2539 / 2301 /2767
- Email Box: click to compose email
Hours of operation:
Mon, Tue, Thur & Fri:.
8:30 a.m.– Noon, 1 - 4 p.m.
(Appointments Required for Passport Applications)
Walk-in Services: In/Out-processing, SOFA Card, Passport Pickup, and Questions
Closed on all U.S. Federal Holidays
Online Appointments: RAPIDS appointment system